Thursday, October 18, 2018

この声枯らして


Let's talk about Formula One.
Guess I haven't really done it this year.

This season has been... well, not so bad. But as always, I will never be tired and losing interest to rant about F1. The races, the cars, the drivers, the transfers -oh, the transfers... a different post will be made to talk about this soon, anything!

Including, of course, the plan to once again watch a race live.

So I did Singapore two years ago. The closest possibility from Indonesia. It was a blast, giving the fact that my favorite guy Daniel won the second place. And of course, because it was my first ever Grand Prix.

Then last year I was in Malaysia. Oh, that one was a complete package. Real circuit, real fans -the one in Singapore is made of 90% concert goers, eewwhh, real atmosphere, real activities, all packaged with Daniel -again- making it into podium after giving such a good fight, and then completed with me actually seeing him with my very own eyes, OH MY LORD, that was the best!

Now I did the closest, then the second closest -though we had to say bye to Malaysia :(- and I guess it's only natural if this year, I maintain my streak, to come to yet another Grand Prix, not so far but at least an upgrade from the last one.

Yea, the choice was

Japanese Grand Prix

Well, well, well. Another crazy, spontaneous decision I ever taken, THAT, I'm totally proud of. Because, hello, THIS IS SUZUKA! One of the drivers' most favorite circuit, and obviously the favorite Grand Prix too because of the atmosphere and the fans OH MY GOD EVEN JUST TYPING THIS MAKES ME WANT TO GO THERE AGAIN :((

This time was a quiet new experience too, as I had to go quiet far from where I stayed, to the circuit. Unlike in Singapore where I could just walk, or in Sepang where I just needed to board a shuttle bus and then bam, I was already at the circuit gate.

The nearest big city from Suzuka is Nagoya, which thankfully I haven't visited yet, so it was just like a big big coincidence. From Nagoya I needed to take a train to, umm, I forgot the name of the station, but it was like a one-hour ride. From there I needed to switch to a smaller local train to Suzuka, and from the train stop, I still had to walk for another 20 minutes to reach the circuit.

HOWEVER. I didn't mind at all, because even from Nagoya, even from the very first moment when I had to wait for the very first train, ALL THE F1 FANS WERE THERE TOO! And that's why I said it was such a new experience to me!

Then the atmosphere now. Gosh, I can't even start on this one. Suzuka was so alive! Well, Sepang too, actually -especially because it was their last Grand Prix ever, but it was just different in Japan! The fans wearing weird costumes, the enthusiasm all expressed in Japanese, the shops selling lots of trinkets, IT'S LIKE WATCHING ANIME OF RACING!

My ticket was valid for all three days of the race. It's much more expensive than the one I bought in Malaysia -of course, buddy, it's Japan, so the class was a bit lower too, only a wooden bench without shelters. And yea, it was just the beginning of autumn in Japan, so summer rain was still pouring -don't ask me how wet I could get, and then dried again, then wet again lalala BUT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE IT'S SUZUKA! One thing a bit disappointing was, from the bench I sat, there were no screen for me to update everything on track. I had to walk a bit to the other part of the class, but then, when I found a screen, the commentators were in Japanese...

Oh, well, it's the ambiance that I bought, no?

Still I spent the first day moving from Tokyo to Nagoya, so I missed the Free Practices. But on Saturday, ho ho ho, of course I wouldn't miss it for the world! Went there early to check out the circuit and by "circuit" I meant THE WHOLE circuit. From the entrance, to the shops, the theme parks, the inner circuit, and of course my own seat category. Doing this so for the race day, I wouldn't need to do that all over again and would just focus on the race itself.

Qualifying started, and ended so quickly -because, well, I didn't know what was going on... and with my whole body soaking wet, I went to the main stage area of the fan zone because I knew something was about to happen: the drivers on stage!

I didn't get to do this last year in Sepang for some reasons -lateness reason- so I was damn ready for this one. For Massa, as he was the first one I saw on stage. For Kimi. For Mika Hakkinen. And finally, and this is why I'm writing about this, FOR DANIEL RICCIARDO AND HIS RED BULL GANG -oh yea, including Max too- OH MY GODDD!!!

I'm being a crazy fanboy again, just like last year. Daniel didn't make it on top this year in Japan, BUT STILL, even if he starts from the back, I'D SCREAM FOR HIM!!! So he did the interview, speaking some Japanese words that cracked the audience up, and finally came to the middle, fvcking closing in to me, and my scream was like, damn, oh getting so louder! That was one of the highlight of this Grand Prix to me.

As for the race day itself, honestly, it wasn't that enjoyable. Again, thanks to the no-screen and the no-English-commentators -one of a few pain in my ass for watching a Grand Prix live. HOWEVER, again, it was the atmosphere that I bought. So I sank deeper in every event, from the drivers parade, the marshalls that performed some fantastic car-imitating gig, the first lap, the laps that followed, and blended in with my surroundings, savouring every weird yet unique fan tidbits and their reactions, EVERY. SINGLE. THING, and I enjoyed it all!

Plus, the spectators helped building the hype. People around me consisted of fans of different F1 teams, so it wasn't so intimidating. But most of Japanese were shouting for Scuderia Torro Rosso team, which was a bit confusing to me, but when I asked an F1 store guy at Nagoya Station why they were so into the team -yea, when I was buying the official Red Bull jersey, I just realized that the engine of the team was Honda. And of course, Japanese would cheer for Honda.

Plus, it was the very first time I'm traveling with a decent camera. That could also snap different kinds of situation. So instead of complaining about how I couldn't really enjoy the race, I wandered around the seating area, took pics of everything I found interesting—until the next thing I know, the race was over -Lewis won, of course, yay. . . . . . . .- and here goes the best thing of this Grand Prix.

The Circuit Visit.

But no, it wasn't like last year. No breaking in, no cage destroying, no running into the track like a free gazelle. It's Japan, remember? So when Lewis passed the chequered flag, people started to get down the seating area, approaching nearer entry gate to the circuit, and, as Japanese would be expected to do -although there were more people there and not only Japanese- queuing.

That was quiet hilarious. I mean, when I was standing on the line, I recalled what happened last year. When people went mad and crazy and didn't really think of being arrested by the officials for trespassing something not really certain can be passed or not, and poured over the circuit. Today, just a year later, everyone submissively waited on a freaking line, missing the podium scene though could listen to what happened there from the megaphone, then kept waiting in uncertainty.

Then the gate was opened. Oh my God. My heart was beating fast. I'M ABOUT TO ENTER SUZUKA!!!

And so I stepped into the track.
And it felt like a pilgrimage.

I almost lose it. I was so close to actually cry. 15 minutes ago 20 cars I just saw on the track, which I could usually just see on the TV screen, were running along the roads I was walking on exactly right now. I could still see the tyre marks here and there. People even touched it in awe. They also picked some unusual debris from the track, hoping that it was some sort of a leftover from the cars they love.

Of course I was doing the same. Touching the roads, picking up stuff, taking photos, lots of photos, and capturing mental pictures of everything I saw around me. For it was Suzuka, one of the world's F1 haven which everyone loves.

It took me almost two hours I think, to explore every corner of the circuit. Yes, EVERY. CORNER. It was once-in-a-lifetime opportunity eh, so why would I rush things? Plus it's not like I had other things to do after this anyway, so, of course!

Also, I think it was because it would be my last time wearing Danny Ric's Red Bull cap—and I guess it was also the main reason why the whole race wasn't quiet fun for me.

Dan is leaving Red Bull.

It sucks actually, to know that it'd happen. For the past three seasons, past three years and past three Grands Prix I watched live, it was always him that I cheered upon. In Singapore when he finished second and just so close to Rosberg. In Sepang when he finished third and almost lost it to Vettel -I won't forget how I, the only Red Bull fan among Mercedes Petronas patron, shrieked every time Ric almost dropped his position. And just now in Suzuka, though he didn't do quiet well anyway.

Next year he'll be with Renault. Oh of course I'll still be supporting him, but I gotta be real, I'm pretty sure I won't see him that much on top of the grid anymore. He'll be playing mid-pack, with the Force Indias and Haas's. It's just, it'll be weird not to see his name gracing the Top 6 that much.

Well anyhow, I didn't really think of it that much when I was on the track of Suzuka. I just wore my Dan cap with full pride, and Red Bull banner on my back as a cape, then trace every single inches of it. All the way from the moment when the sun was still striking, until it gave in and concealed itself behind the iconic Suzuka ferris wheel. And the whole track turned purple-ish and quiet, slowly left by satisfied motor-racing fan.

And I stepped out of Suzuka, with my voice all dried out,
And full awareness that this has become another amazing,

Memorable Grand Prix.

And as I walked back from the circuit to the station, with oh so many other F1 fans around, I talked to myself that this has got to continue. Always. Watching a Grand Prix live, it CANNOT end here. I need to make it an annual ritual, I don't care if it comes with my annual trip, or separated, but this has to happen every year.

Because it's not just about watching the race.
Not even about supporting a certain favorite driver.
It's about the atmosphere. Being one with the likeminded people.

Your people.

And together with them, scream until
Your voice withered

No comments:

Post a Comment