Saturday, June 19, 2021

Studio Ghibli: Project Twenty One


I guess this is my first time ever writing about Studio Ghibli here in my blog.

I've only ever watched around 5 of Studio Ghibli's works. I know, pity. I always claim that I'm into Japanese animation thingy but all I always watch are just Digimon, Naruto, One Piece, and other major mainstream pieces and/or 90s Indo-private-stations-aired series. But I'm not that type of a FOMO person so all these years I've always been like... whatever.

Until finally Dad subscribed Netflix for all of us. Something which, I also didn't mind to miss out because first I'm not feeling FOMO and second, I already subscribed Apple TV+ and Disney+ for myself so, why should I have another streaming service?? And then I remembered that, in February, Netflix added all Studio Ghibli movies to their list. ALL 21 OF THEM!

Then I guess it's just about time.
There's no more barrier between me and these 21 masterpieces.

So just today, in this super chilly and gloomy Saturday, I began my initiative to finish these Studio Ghibli movies. Project Twenty One. I began with "Howl's Moving Castle", which I instantly fell in love with. I would never say no to the magic of Studio Ghibli. And with the addition of such peaceful atmosphere, post-rain breeze, some rugs I spread out by the balcony for my snoozing, hot green tea, warm dimmed lighting and the companies of my cat and Sheriff Woody, I just had one of the best weekends in 2021 so far.

I'm sure this is what Danish people say as "Hygge"


Now I watched 6 movies already. But I'll keep the one I just finished today off of my current Studio Ghibli list for me to include later on after I watch more. Here's my rank so far.

  1. Spirited Away
  2. Grave of the Fireflies
  3. My Neighbor Totoro
  4. Ponyo
  5. Pom Poko

And it'd definitely change as I finish more movies. Not only "change" as if the list adds up, but also "change" as if the ranks get re-ordered -- because I might have different perspective in watching those movies, some of which was done when I was younger. And dumber.
 
So twenty one movies, unlimited time.

I'm gonna divide it to three stages, seven movies each because if I have to write every time I finish one movie, I'm not gonna lie, pretty sure this ambitious initiative would just end up in the trash of unfinished business.

Yeah three stages would do.
So I'll see you after seven movies!

Second half of 2021 would be magical.
Ghibli-level Magical

No comments:

Post a Comment