Friday, July 23, 2021

Once in a Lifetime

Now tell me.

When else can you get the Olympics, world's largest and most prestigious sporting event even bigger than the World Cup, to be hosted in Japan, world's most advanced-yet-traditional nation which is the closest developed country from your home?

Yes. In 2020.
And I don't think the opportunity will easily come again anytime soon.
So to be in Japan for the 2020 Olympics, would be a once in a lifetime experience.

Right?

Because the timing couldn't be better. The world of traveling is on its peak. The country is on top of everyone's list to visit. And if you're my age, in which we're turning late 20s this year, well, you have enough budget to actually fly yourselves to Japan, pick one or two or more matches to watch and then BOOM there you go, having the time of your life.

Also, it's Japan. They're known to have such extraordinary attention to details. They're known to be extremely creative. They're known to be out-of-the-world perfectionists. To be watching the Olympics, in Japan, I couldn't even imagine how spectacular their offerings in the Opening Ceremony, in each match, at each venues, in its people, throughout the merchandises and trinkets across the country--IN EVERYTHING!

But you know what also happened in 2020.

The fucking pandemic.
Forcing the actual Olympics to be rescheduled.
And my dream of a lifetime has to meet its end.
I've told this many times but I think I will never get over it.

Ever since I knew the 2020 Olympics would be hosted in Tokyo, I told myself I had to go no matter what. I love the city, I love the country, and I love that kind of sporting event I swear I turned freaky everytime there's this kind of thing.

I booked my flight to Japan in September 2019. Exactly after I returned from Italy, done at the office because there was this sudden flight deal appearing. My friend told me that I was crazy for deciding so quickly and so spontaneously but hey, I've been planning to do this for so long! And so I got a seat in a SINGAPORE AIRLINE flight, paying only ONE POINT FUCKING FIVE MILLION RUPIAH for a trip TO TOKYO! Yes I just had to mention the price too, so you get why I will never get over this.

Late February 2020, the pandemic started to grow. Early March 2020, we began our supposed-to-be-short-but-eventually-lasted-for-more-than-a-year WFH arrangement. Mid March 2020, I grew anxious of my plan, still hoping that the fucking pandemic would out of the blue pop off the earth and things returned normal. And finally, in late March, my nightmare came true.

The 2020 Olympics would officially not be done in 2020.

I lost it. Lost my mind, lost my sanity, lost myself. Lost from Covid. Yes it would still happen in 2021 but I just knew that things would not going to be easy. Worst come to worst, the Olympics would still be happening but with no spectators.

And that was apparently true.
Tokyo 2020 started today, in its National Stadium.
With no one there to watch their hard works.

I feel bad for them, honestly, but well, it's Japan. THANK GOD, it's Japan. Because if this were to happen to other countries, I'm pretty sure they'd forfeit. And looking at how the preparation went and how the Opening Ceremony was done perfectly just know, I don't feel like I need to pity them.

It's ME that I should pity.

Because after all those plans, all those emotional feelings and excitements budgeted for the upcoming Olympics, all those fantasies of flying to Japan alone to meet new friends from other nationalities where we'd be going to several matches together to cheer upon our own countries, compete as fans, but then left the venues as friends again only to continue traveling together to see the beauty of Japan -- well, all those SHITS and WHAT NOT, were never meant to come true.

As I am sitting here, just in my bedroom, with Japan National Stadium inside my laptop screen and not before my own eyes, and those dreams of my once-in-a-lifetime Olympics experience drifted away.

I know... I could always go for the next Olympics.
You know, as part of my traveling gigs.
Just how I do it with F1 grands prix.

But again, this one is Japan.

It's not just about how I come to the country to watch the games and that's it, no. It's the experience, it's the matches, the venues, the people, merchandises and trinkets across the country, THE EVERYTHING, which Japan does, which I don't think can ever be done by other host nations.

Well I just hope Japan would step up and once again try to play host for the Olympics in near future. So near that I could still get to watch it life. And when that opportunity comes, I'm sure it'll be a good revenge which I will really REALLY look forward to.



And IF that opportunity come,
I can't tell how grateful I will ever be.
For I'll get another chance to see something
That I thought would only to happen
Once in my lifetime

No comments:

Post a Comment