Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Like It or Not, Enjoy


Hi.

I don't think I ever once talked about my city. Jakarta. Well, I guess I'm now in mood to talk about it. Since last weekend, I just felt how convenient this crazy city actually is.

Sunday will always be the un-guessed-able time of the week. You cannot predict what happen in Jakarta during Sunday. Usually it's empty because as the last day of the weekend, people don't feel like going out. But if everybody thinks that oh, I bet roads are empty today so let's get out then boom! Enjoy the sudden traffic jam.

Last weekend, for example, my friend brought me to two places that in general, should be crazy crowded: Tugu Kunstkring Paleis and Balai Kartini. And don't get me wrong - both were, crazy crowded. But Jakarta was so sweet last weekend -and that's why I initiated this post because if it was an ass, don't even expect me to mention Jakarta ever again in this blog- that somehow, we managed to visit both places easily, with a happy heart.

For the first place, we parked the car by the street, in front of somebody's house. This is what I benefit the most from how loose regulations in Jakarta are - also, the first thing I really adore from this city. We can be a slick and cheat the rules. Well actually rules about cars parked randomly went a bit more strict lately but still, loose regulations are loose.

So we went to the building, enjoyed the colonialism-themed bazaar and left with two super beautiful china plates we don't even know what they are bought for. I'd really love to upload the plates but, yaa maybe later.


Next stop was Balai Kartini. From central Jakarta, the venue can be reached either from the main protocol Jl. Jend. Sudirman or via this critical big road Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said in Kuningan. During weekdays, both streets are, well, what can I say, fresh shits from hell's ass. You don't, ever, wanna be stuck there. Ever. That's why during weekend, traumatized people try so hard to avoid these evil streets.

We decided not to take Jl. Jend. Sudirman and drove through Kuningan instead. And guess what. The street was beautifully empty. We were so pleased to realize that the only long line we'd be facing was around the venue, when entering and looking for parking space. But again, guess what. Apparently Balai Kartini knew that the event will be blessed with tons of crowd so they provided this shuttle service that people can take from one building in... Kuningan.

God blessed our Sunday. Second thing I like from the city, is that people here are well-developed. They didn't just make some crappy events, they thought forward about how to make people reach their event easily, practically. Well, maybe because most of the committees were expats which lead me to the third point I like from Jakarta: it's freaking internationalized.

So we parked the car in this very empty parking lot, walked to the lobby and took the shuttle straight to the venue. It was the event of promoting European countries so yes, lots of traditional foods, traditional outfits, traditional music, traditional dance, and yes, again, I watched flamenco! This time, the dancer was a female so I could get the true beauty of enjoying the dance.


I forgot her name but, she danced gave a crazy elegant show

Wow. I just love how surprising Jakarta is.

One day it could be a pain in my ass, giving me unnecessary plenty of time to waste in the street, pouring my days with extra sunlight, making me wanna curse with all bad words I learned from the day I was born. But one other day, it could be the savoriest thing in my chicken. You know, when you eat fried chicken and there's this one second of your chew that tastes better than the rest of the mealtime, yea, Jakarta can be like that sometimes.

Never once I ever thought, to actually leave this city for any other big cities in Indonesia. Not even Bali. The only choice I set for myself to live in is either Jakarta, or, abroad.

And oh, this reminds me to one striking-right-in-my-heart punchline I heard from a Love Jakarta Campaign video that, shit, I still can't get over with even until now.

It says something like,
Jakarta, my beloved cruel city.

Hm. It lost it's tone when said in English.
Okay so let's try saying it in Bahasa, shall we?

Jakarta, Kota Kejam Kesayangan

No comments:

Post a Comment