Friday, December 7, 2018

Goodbye, David


"And this time I'm convincing myself not to go anywhere else, unless it's for the master degree. I've explored enough, and this company I'm now working at, is too hard to get and too big to ditch."
.
-- an imbecile, somewhat 2 years ago.

And that imbecile, was me.

That's the line I told myself on my second day of work at Ogilvy. Well, did I tell you already? That Ogilvy is actually a company I used to dream of working for.

Since my college days, the name was on top of my list. To work here and live life as a copywriter, was like a combination I'd kill for. When it was time for us to seek for internship program, this company was the one I approached though it didn't go as planned.

No, no, I got the interview call, indeed. It was like only one step to acceptance, then I think my chance got blown away when I told them I only had two months to do the internship—whence they required three -thanks to my already-booked Bali trip, but then, I would never regret it because it became a very memorable trip! BBDO was eventually the one accepted me.

Then came the actual professional phase. When all college bullshit ended and real shit came greeting. Again, Ogilvy was among the first I sent out my -enhanced and super beautified- portfolio. And again, I got the freaking call. I nailed the interview too, I guess. With two expats I remembered them vividly even until now. But their offers weren't really appealing it seemed they looked down on me. Well no matter how much I adored them, I still have dignity no? So I went for SOGO instead.

I quitted SOGO, went for my amazing internship in Japan, and came back home once again, unemployed. And once again too -and I guess I claimed to myself that it'd be for the last time- I turned to Ogilvy for yet another application. This time for the Social Department.

One interview -with both supervisors- nailed. Interview two, now with the boss of social, well, nailed that one too. Final interview was with the creative director, and my senior in college, so I guess I totally nailed that one. Plus two given assignments submitted on time -and on point too, I assume- plus rather smooth negotiation plus a bit of luck this time,

I got the role.

Fuck man, finally. I'm an Ogilvy-an. Three attempts for three different role in just one company, and only got accepted on the third try, well, I guess in this case third time's a charm.

See my fight to get into this company I really dreamed of, wasn't quiet easy. It took me three fucking years! No wonder if at the end of the day -during my first days, exactly- I promised myself that I wouldn't ever want to leave the company unless I was to get my masters degree eh? No other job, no other abroad internship and no other thing could steal my attention this time!

It seemed so easy to convince myself to do that though, at the beginning, because life was oh so amazing back then. I could get to live my dream copywriter life, and at the same time learn as much as I could to be a good digital-social media practitioner slash amazing creative. Overtime works were totally bearable, company benefits were really enjoyable, parties was crazy, and, don't forget about the incredible outing to Hong Kong and Macau that was interestingly exclusive to Social Team only. Yes, others didn't go because it was only us that reached our KPI.

Coworkers were another reason why I enjoyed my life in Ogilvy. Oh my God how we were like playmates at the office. Works seemed like playing, and clients were like teachers we could make fun of on their backs. Things could get tough sometimes, but with them, it felt just fine and, weirdly, fun.

But then I guess good things couldn't last forever, eh?

Tables turned gradually. Good life started slowing down to such sorrowful hole, works became too much and depressing, colleagues began leaving, and I felt like it was getting too much.

I might still look happy from the outside, but I couldn't lie, I burnt out from the inside. I didn't know what held me back from leaving, because everybody else seemed to be doing it so easily. Well I guess I know: it's my super soft inside that kept me there. You know, when you feel like you're so solid with your decision, and then some minor joy at the office -like, making it to an award finalist?- restored your faith for the company and the next thing you know, you procrastinated your resignation.

Well... I guess that's just not all.

It's my old me, me from campus life, me who got rejected for the internship, me who got disappointed for the offers, THAT me who adored Ogilvy so much I promised myself not to leave the company—yes, he was the one who held me back from leaving.

At some point I owed him so much for his struggle to get me this far. At some point I felt like I hold accountability to keep his trust for not leaving. At some point, I just, don't want to disappoint him...

But also at some point, it was him who came to me,
Telling me that it's time to let go of my stupid ego.

So I made my decision.
I quitted from Ogilvy.

It wasn't easy, I swear.
But I know it was the right decision.

I've proved myself that I could get what I wanted, and it meant that I could do that again in the future. And in order to do that in the future, I needed to get out of whatever I was clinging at, no?

So yea all my struggles to get a spot inside the company, all the lessons I've learned from literally everything I encountered there, all the sweats and tears and bloods I shed during my service, all the memories, all the fun, all the laughters, fuck, I would cherish it all.


Just some snaps from my last day in Ogilvy.

There are actually tons more, with several other people special to me but
these bunch are the ones that stick with me from the very beginning,
til the very end so... yea.



Thank you, Ogilvy, for those amazing stuff.
And no thank you for the shitty parts, really.

Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment