Sunday, July 4, 2021

Project Twenty One: Batch One

So I finished my first seven movies of Studio Ghibli available in Netflix.

Damn how I forgot how amazing this animation studio is, given the last time I watched a Ghibli movie was... I think... "My Neighbor Totoro" in... 20... 17...? Fudge yea, it's been a while. TOO while.

I won't be giving too much intro, so here's my short review on the first seven Ghibli movies sort in the order of the one I watched first.

Howl’s Moving Castle | 2004

I don't wanna wait until I reveal my ranking update to say this: "Howl's Moving Castle" is by far the number one Studio Ghibli movie on my personal list. And I watched it on my first attempt! How could not that be a good sign for this project??

I love everything about this movie. The animation, the story, the magical element it bears, the characters, the fact that the "villain" is actually not someone else, EVERYTHING! But what I enjoyed the most from this is actually the setting. Sophie's hometown has this nostalgic Square Enix vibe, which reminded me a lot to Final Fantasy and my FFX2 or Kingdom Hearts days which I really cherished. And Howl's castle too! Oh how I liked the inside of the castle, its door that leads to many places, its before and its after renovation I just. Loved. It!


Can I still keep ranting on this movie? Of course I can, it's my blog! Well one thing that perhaps made me love this movie the most is that because, I see a close imagery of Howl as... myself. No, not because I can do magic. But because of his personality. That seems okay and all groovy from the outside, but has this deep fear on the inside. I just feel I relate a lot to him.

My Neighbors the Yamadas | 1999

The second movie I watched for this project. Overall, it was enjoyable. Easy to watch, no fantasies, just slices of daily lives of simple Japan. Its animation is a bit off typical Studio Ghibli style, even seems too lazy for the studio standard, but still, the details are uncanny! One weakness though: sometimes it gets a bit boring because of no plot/conflict, and the duration’s just too long.

Ocean Waves | 1993

I'm not a big fan of way-too-old movies. You know, movies that are actually made decades ago. Including animation. But "Ocean Waves" was a different one. Yes it looked so retro, but that became an aesthetic to the movie. Overall vibe of this one was light, and even nostalgic, as if I watched it already in 1993 and rewatched it just recently. Story was a bit too simple though, but I think that's the beauty of it. P.S.: Rikako, the female lead, was honestly a bit annoying.

Arrietty | 2010

This is the type of Studio Ghibli work that I always know, and always like. Animation-wise, no flaws, at all. Beautiful, warm, detailed, you know, all Ghibli qualities were in it. Then came the story, and it instantly put "Arrietty" on top of the list.

The world of tiny people is always a treat to me, just how I really enjoyed "Doraemon Adventure No.6" comic. The perspective of human world through tiny people's eyes, the way they use human's small items like doll houses and unnecessary trinkets as their own household stuff, it's just so pleasing to experience. This one though, is added with heartwarming story of a curious teen sprite and a helpful human, amazing serene setting of a cozy villa, and... this one is so important to enhance the overall mood: occasional rains.


If this movie was, or is, going to be made a series, I swear I'd be the number one fan and would never skip a single episode.

Nausicaa | 1984

I would always root for stories that promote nature harmony. The concept of human live side by side with nature told in this movie was something to be admired about. However, "Nausicaa" is the actual embodiment of my dislike-ness towards way-too-old movies. Somehow the animation, the plot, and its elements made me anxious. Its setting - and the fact that it's a sci-fi movie - and music gave such eerie feel of old 80s Nintendo games. I guess such vibe just doesn't go well with me...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya | 2013

Another work of Studio Ghibli which animation style is not so Studio Ghibli. Which I don't mind because it was equally beautiful and well executed with all the amazing drawings and realistic smooth movements. Plus, this one was created with the modern Studio Ghibli touch so there were a lot of progress. But the best part is, unlike "My Neighbor The Yamadas", this movie came with perfect everything.

"The Tale of Princess Kaguya" served such perfect depiction of old traditional and royal Japanese culture,  which felt so... sincere. The plot was unpredictable from the beginning until the end, which really made me stay to watch the whole 2 hrs+ film. Sadly - or maybe not? - it bears a non-happy ending — the most whimsical yet goosebumps-making ending, when the celestial troops from the moon came to fetch the princess. I couldn't even describe the feeling because plot-wise it was devastating, and visually it was horrifying, but throughout the event, the music was weirdly cheerful, creating this uber eerie horror sensation that even until now I'm typing this very paragraph, I'm still having goosebumps... crazy movie.

Princess Mononoke | 1997

Another amazing story of how human and nature should live side by side and how you’ll get the loss if you mess with nature. This time it's less science fiction, so I got to enjoy the movie better! The overall setting of "Princess Mononoke" still adopted Japanese culture, so even though it was full of mythical creatures, I could get to see the old rural life of Japan, rice paddies, samurai wars, and what not.

Now on to the downfall: none of the antagonist humans died. It really, REALLY annoyed me. I mean, they were the one who started all these mess but what did we get? Moro the mother of wolf, Ottokko the boar clan head, and even the Forest Spirit itself died instead! It's just so unacceptable. Also, and this what mattered the most. There were just too much blood and gore stuff it wasn’t so nice to my soft soul...

Alright!

That was all seven of them! Funny how I got to see which I thought was the best and worst of Studio Ghibli in just one batch. But who am I kidding, it wasn't all yet. So I'll come back claiming about the fixed list when I finish all twenty one but for now, here's my current ranking:

  1. Howl's Moving Castle
  2. Arrietty
  3. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  4. Spirited Away*
  5. Grave of the Fireflies*
  6. My Neighbor Totoro*
  7. Princess Mononoke
  8. Ponyo*
  9. Ocean Waves
  10. My Neighbor The Yamadas
  11. Pom Poko*
  12. Nausicaa


Again, it's just temporary. And the fact that my views on "Spirited Away", "Grave of the Fireflies", "My Neighbor Totoro", "Ponyo" and "Pom Poko" was based on the time I watched them like decades ago would only mean that I need to rewatch all of them - except "Grave of the Fireflies" I guess, because the trauma of watching that cursed yet beautiful film was real - to fix my thoughts on each movie.

This is fun.

Can't wait to finish Batch Two and see how the list goes.
Ghibli's magic is not yet finished

No comments:

Post a Comment