Saturday, January 19, 2019

Around The World: Complete


Long ago,

Well, not that so long ago though.

Back in 2017 I think, I discovered a book that I’d consider as the “Best Book Ever” at least for myself. It was not really a new, novelty book with breakthrough approach or what not—no, really, it’s an old one. A title so popular, I didn’t even realize I was so much exposed to it yet I took it for granted.

A true classic,

“Around the World in 80 Days”


Even until today, I’m still amazed by the book.

The 80-day trip done by the protagonist throughout Europe, southern Asia, a bit of southeast Asia to the east, and finally back to America, well, it might sound just, normal. But realizing that the book was written in the 1800s, and the fact that the author hadn’t ever actually been to those places he wrote, dang, it just blew my mind!

It was only natural that the book really inspired me to do the same. Obviously I couldn’t do the 80 day version because while Phileas Fogg had all the leisure of time -and money- to accomplish his ambitious goal, I’m here just a regular Joe who has a job to be responsible to, works to do, and limited money to take care of.

And so I did improvise a little, and twist that “Day” element from the book to something more realistic to achieve: “Around the World in 80… Months

Lol seriously this is such an imitation to my similar previous post, but I just achieved a milestone and so here I am telling you guys this shit again.

So back to the project.

80 months.
It all began in January 2013,
My deadline is supposed to be August 2019.

Throughout those time span, up until I made that very goal of mine, I’ve been to literally so many places: Bali and Singapore for so many times, Malaysia, in Kuala Lumpur and Penang, then Thailand’s Bangkok, then amazingly jumped to the US, to New York and Washington DC, then back to Southeast Asia again in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City, Mui Ne, Nha Trang), Cambodia (Siem Reap and Angkor), and Philippines (Manila and Cebu), Hong Kong and Macao, Japan (lots of cities!), and Australia (Gold Coast, Sydney, and Melbourne).

It wasn’t until the end of 2017 that I finally unlocked my fourth continent, where I got the chance to visit France in Paris, Strasbourg, Lyon, Nice, Cannes, as well as a bit of Monaco and Italy. In addition to those collection, I added South Korea (Seoul, Busan, Jeju) by the middle of last year.

72 months passed.
4 continents done.

Then came the end of 2018.

Another plan of big yearend trip came, and you knew the story. It was Europe again this time, with whomping number of six cities across two countries lining up my agenda. With Spain I was planning to go to Barcelona, Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada, while in Portugal I felt like it’d be enough with just the capital Lisbon.

But then, I thought of something else.
Something crazy that I knew this was the time to do it.

My plan was to start from the north, so I could spend Christmas and New Year on the more Christian side of Spain. Afterwards I'd move down south, to Andalusia and around, where it's more Islamic. Then it came to my attention that, the southern part of the peninsula, is really close to more Islamic states. Only across the strait, and there it lied, just another country—Morocco.

It was really tempting. The country itself is really exotic. I wouldn't think twice for it would be crazy prestigious to be the first among my surroundings to visit Morocco. Plus, Indonesians don't need a visa to enter. Although, those weren't the main reason why I decided to switch to Morocco. You know why.

It's in fucking Africa.

This was it. This SHOULD BE the call. This could be the only place closest to Africa that I'd ever be. And it was there, just before my very eyes. I had the tickets to Spain already, it was happening, and I'd be a fool if I didn't use this opportunity. And for God's sake I had the leisure of time as I was currently jobless... THIS WAS THE CALL!

I'd do anything to make this happen, so I omit Granada from my plan to make space for Morocco. And I didn't have to be ambitious about it, just make it like Portugal, visit only one city and that should be it. But which one!? Well let's see... its capital might seem boring, its largest city sounded really crowded. So Marrakech it was: the country's ancient capital, and tourist haven.

The verdict? Possibly the best decision I ever made.

Morocco might sound intimidating for some, including me, too. But Marrakech was surprisingly international-minded. Its Arabic touch, with its rich dessert vibes, and massively famous riads, souks, and plazas, blended nicely with safety, enough comfort, and reassuring presence of international tourists everywhere. I didn't feel like stranded, yet I could still taste the authenticity of the place!

But then it was the feeling of achievement that poured over me throughout my visit to Morocco. The sense of self-satisfaction, pride, and glory, that weirdly enough, no one seemed to care or even be aware about it—but still, it was between me and myself, and I nailed it.

I visited my fifth and last continent.

Wow. Never had I imagined that Morocco would be the one championing my dream. It was always either Cape Town, or at least Joburg, where I could still be civilized even in Africa. And I actually had plans to make either one of them as my annual trip for 2019, visiting there on either June or July this year so I would dramatically accomplish my goal on last minute gig.

You just never know what God had planned for you.
All you know is that, you're the one in control of your dream.

I'm so glad I read that sacred book just in time. And I'm so glad I took the best of Phileas Fogg, not seeing him in negative, pessimistic air, that I got inspired instead—something I rarely feel towards other figure, let alone a fiction one.

It was just meant to be.

So here I am officially stating that, 
My ambitious dream project of traveling
Around the World in 80 Months, is finally

Completed

No comments:

Post a Comment