Saturday, April 9, 2016

Butterfly


Last night I heard something terrible.
A pretty bad news for us 90s survivors.

The singer of "Butterfly", the opening theme of Digimon anime, that nostalgic song that still gives me goosebumps today, the spirited upbeat song of my childhood—had passed away due to his cancer.

Kouji Wada
(1974 - 2016)


Come to think of it, I didn't really listen to the original song as a child. We Indonesian kids were exposed more to the translated version of the theme, which was great, as it showed how we appreciated his song that we didn't change the other part of it -unlike Americans who created a whole new stupid opening theme and I bet even the fans of Digimon in America have no idea of who Kouji Wada was. As I grew up I knew I had an extended love for Digimon. So I began to get myself exposed to the original version of the song, and I fell in love with it.

I knew him only from Digimon Adventure -the very first serial- and the latest Digimon Tri. What I didn't know is that he was apparently also the man behind each and every single latter series of Digimon franchise. I took him for granted.

And now that he's gone, I felt pretty crushed.

Well then what can I say now,
But to wish him a very peaceful rest.

Pic belongs to him. Or her, I'm not sure.

So.

Quoting my tweet,
I'd like to say it again.

Rest in peace Mr Kouji Wada,
You'll always be the prettiest butterfly
In my childhood garden

No comments:

Post a Comment