Sunday, June 17, 2018

Match Six: The Whiz and The Apprentice


Believe it or not,

I was eager to see this game more than the last one.
It's not the biggest match, but I somehow knew that
It'd be really, really entertaining.

Argentina vs Iceland
Group D


This is phenomenal on so many levels. Pic's from here.

No, it's not because of Argentina. Together with Portugal and Brazil, those three are my least favorite teams I kinda wish they don't do well -thanks to Ronaldo, Messi, and Neymar who have been on my hatred list since 2014 and even 2010. So leave them be, because I'm here to talk about the other team.

I think it's not only me.

The whole world was blown away by Iceland and their performance for Euro 2016. During the cup, the underdog's underdog played solid unexpected games that no one would ever imagine they'd finish in the quarter final stage. The uproar may be gone after Euro ended, but the talk over the team remained hot, and exciting -it became a big deal when they came to Indonesia to have a friendly match with our national team, that when they secured their spot in Russia, despite it being their first World Cup ever, no one dared to underestimate them.

This match was like, their moment of truth. I saw it as a proof of their quality. And it's not something to take for granted. I couldn't imagine how hard they trained for this, because, it's their very first match, it's their first time to show what they got in France 2016 wasn't just mere luck, and, it's against Argentina, for God's sake. I somehow knew, that it'd be really really interesting, I told you, and it turned out to be.

Let's start by how solid their defense was. Throughout the game, it was solid as a rock -there was a meme saying that even wi-fi can't make it through their defense. The defender, the goalkeeper oh don't get me started with the goalkeeper, he omitted quiet a number of crucial saves! It's expected though, because dude, Iceland is facing Argentina. Of course the latter will be attacking, with Messi, with Aguero, di Maria, it's their nature. So Iceland need to think wise, and play safe instead. Surprisingly, it wasn't boring. It was outstanding instead, to see them so firm, so neat that attacks of Argentina's level couldn't break their walls.

Aguero eventually made a goal, though. And it was a beautiful one, I must admit. BUT. It was only a matter of minutes before Iceland made a comeback! Not that typical world-class fabulous type of goal, but smart enough because they took benefit of Argentina's uncertain defense. And again, it's a goal through Argentina, so no matter how ugly it could be, IT IS A BIG DEAL.

But the best highlight is not of those. It was when Argentina was awarded a penalty kick. From  a fallen Messi, who else... And it was him who'd execute the shootout, who else... Everybody else was pretty sure that it'd be it. Argentina's second goal, that would eventually lead to Iceland's defeat on their pilot performance in World Cup. Even I believed that's what would be happening. But I don't know, I'm not trying to make this superstitious nor am I trying to make it up but... something inside of me told me that it's not going to happen, and my fingers were crossed without me realizing it and

IT WAS FUCKING TRUE! THE PENALTY WAS A FAILURE! A shootout from Lionel Messi, the five Ballon d'Or winner, the best player in the world, and of all time, was blocked by a debut goalkeeper from a nation so far away, whose main job is not even a football player, whose name just emerged after he successfully gloved away Messi's famous death penalty kick!

OH MY GOD FUCK IT I SWEAR I'M STILL CRINGING REMEMBERING THOSE MOMENTS! I was watching it outside at a somewhat sports cafe, so crowded, with everyone else supporting Argentina while I was there sitting on the back, screaming every time the squad of Sons made a move to mess around with Messi's team, and I swear I was the one who screamed the loudest when Alfreð Finnbogason scored, AND I SWEAR I SCREAMED EVEN LOUDER WHEN HANNES HALLDÓRSSON BLOCKED MESSI'S PENALTY KICK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Best match so far. And you know what, I can't hold it. I'm gonna post the official highlight video from FIFA itself.


It's just so nice to support an underdog.
Because you won't be expecting much at first.

Yet when they did good,
Especially these certain noobs,
Could kick the proud asses of pros
It's like stealing the jackpot

No comments:

Post a Comment